When you’re starting out a new lawn, planting grass seed well is a good start. You’ve probably heard that lawn keeping is too difficult and should be left for the professionals. Here are some helpful steps to help you plant grass seed without much difficulty.
Preparing the Soil for Planting
This is the first step to having a beautiful green lawn. You should be able to familiarize yourself with the land you have. It is also advisable to have the soil analyzed. This way, you can determine which nutrients must be added so you can improve the soil.
Then, the next step is to till the soil with a tiller Remember to even out the top layer and remove rocks and sticks. It can be a laborious task but it is important if you intend to have a beautiful lawn. If it rains, water pools in uneven spots and will affect the seeds. With this, all you need to know is how to plant grass seed properly.
How to Plant Grass Seed
Here are some steps you can follow on how to plant grass seed:
- Spread out the planting. Scatter the seed using a seed spreader or by hand. Get recommendation from a lawn care expert or seed store when dealing with the amount of grass seeds. Remember not to overseed your lawn; otherwise, grass will grow unhealthily and lacking of nutrients.
- Add layer of topsoil. Spread a layer of soil over the seeded area so the new seeds wouldn’t be too exposed.
- Water the seeds. Lightly water the area but avoid using a powerful hose. Avoid washing away the seeds using too much force. Water the seeds daily until a sprout develops.
- Keep them off the grass. To avoid washing away the seeds or ruining the soil, keep people and animals off the lawn.
More Tips on Planting Grass Seed
Now that the basics are covered, here are additional reminders:
- The best time to plant is grass seed is around spring or fall. When done properly, this will lead to good results and a beautiful lawn.
- Some people use seed accelerators to cover the seed beds, hold them in place and keep the right moisture.
With all these helpful steps and reminders, planting grass seed shouldn’t be difficult even for the beginners. The next step is learning how to proper lawn maintenance and care.